Monday, March 22, 2010

Thy Will Be Done

Well...this past week I have really been learning alot. Not just from classes or friends or church or my devotions, though I've learned alot from each of those things this week. It's been from prayer (though that may be included in devotions..I just meant that it's not been directly from time in the Word).

This school year I have been praying a certain way every time a certain thing happens and God, who is good and faithful, has answered my prayers. Not after many times, but just after praying it once. But this time, I have prayed for this thing several times, and God's been answering it in different ways. I think He's telling me that I can't just ask for the easy way out every time. His goal is not for my life to be easy. His goal is my sanctification. Normally, sanctification does not come from easy things. It comes more often when we are stretched and broken. So, either another prayer is being answered, OR God is saying "not right now" to this prayer. He knows the plans He has for me (Jeremiah 29:11) and knows what's best. What I'm praying for may not be what's best for me. I am so grateful for a sovereign God who wants what's best for me! Though it may me a tough thing that He's planning for me, it could be for my sanctification.

James 5:16 says "...the effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much." Or, in the King James Version, "the effectual fervent prayer". It means this-that continual prayer for something can be answered mightily. It has been every other time this type of thing has happened. But this time I have been earnestly praying for this thing, and seen no results. That doesn't mean I think God hasn't heard me, but like I said before, either another prayer is being answered (though it's too soon to tell with that) or God is saying No and has better plans for me. It's tough to know that exactly what I've been trying to avoid may happen again. But it's so very comforting to know that the Maker of the universe has a plan for me, and it's what is best.

Last night I decided to just completely give it over to the Lord and put it in His hands. Now I can stop worrying about it. I had gone to bed and was not able to sleep. Then I remembered this handy little thing  that I wisely brought with me to college-my prayer journal. I completely laid it all out before God, and realized that He knows what I need and all I know is what I want. I realized that I needed to be praying differently-not telling God what I'd like Him to do, but telling Him everything and saying "Thy will be done." I realized that it might be best for me that He answered me with a "no". And if that's the case, then that is what I want. I just continually prayed for His will to be done and that He would be glorified in this situation. And let me tell you-I feel multitudes better about it. I no longer need to worry about it but can completely trust in His goodness and His faithfulness.

Moral of the story:Don't pray for what you want only, but that God's will will be done and that He will glorify Himself through you. I learned that it is okay to tell Him what you want, you just need to accept that He might not give it to you. Also-journaling prayers is something that I want to start back up-such a good way to think through everything you are saying to our sovereign Lord.

Those are my thoughts. Sorry it's completely rambling, my thoughts are just everywhere! Have a good day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment