Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day!

I just want to start off saying...I love Valentine's Day! I think it's a day that is meant to take time to think about love and those whom you love. But I can't stand this "Single's Awareness Day (SAD)" stuff. Just because you don't have a significant other does not mean that you have to be sad on this day! Instead, just enjoy it, and be grateful you do not have to stress about finding a gift and making a card or whatever. Less pressure! It's my first Valentine's Day as a single girl in a while. It has definitely been the least stressful! Plus, my mom sent me cute Valentine's Day socks...which is one of my favorite parts about the day.

This is a day when people can become discontent with their situation. That is the fault of the person...if you are unhappy, try to think about some of the benefits! This is not a day to be "SAD". I think that the dating chapels we had this week were good, but in some people it stirred up discontentment, especially since it was the week before Valentine's Day. Discontentment is a way of telling God that He has not done enough for us and that He has not given us enough. Philippians 4:11 says "Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am in." Most of you probably know where Paul was when he wrote Philippians-he was in jail! Now if he can be in jail and say that he's content, then we can be content too. God really has blessed us all so much. My freshman year of high school my friend Jenae did something that really stuck out to me. I still remember it vividly. In science class, I saw her writing down a list of things, and asked what she was doing. She said she was having a hard day, so she was counting her blessings. That spoke volumes to me! It is a great idea, really. When we struggle with discontentment or just unhappiness, we should remember that God has blessed us SO much, and try to think of every blessing that we can!

Well those are just my thoughts on Valentine's Day. Honestly, I wondered how I would feel today. As I think I said before, it's my first Valentines Day as a single girl in a few years. Though I am over my ex boyfriend, I wondered if today would bring back too many memories and make me miss him. But I realized-I have such a full and blessed life! There is no time for me to be unhappy without him, even if I was struggling with that. So don't think that I am just saying this because I have not known what it was like to have a Valentine. Because I have. And at the time it was fun. But this is better, because I know that I do not have to have someone in my life to be content, or even to enjoy today. I hope that this has been an encouragement to someone! I have to finish getting ready to go to church, but I hope you all have a great day. And remember you're blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment