Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Funny Question

Last night we had a meeting to go over information for working at the fair [which starts tomorrow:stoked]. There are a few people here with a foreign exchange program, one from Turkey and two from Vietnam, who will be working with us for a few days. Last night, I talked for a while with a girl named Tahn (or something like that, forgive my ignorance) from Vietnam who just graduated college recently. We were talking about food in America, and she asked if we eat anything besides burgers, because that's pretty much all she's eaten since she got to Sacramento. So I explained to her some of the things we eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I explained the different foods we eat chronologically, so of course I began with breakfast. The first thing I said was cereal. She asked, "What is cereal?" Not at all what I was expecting to hear. I turned to Lindsay and asked, "how would you describe cereal?" So for the next couple minutes, we tried to explain what cereal is. It's not as easy to describe, especially to someone who isn't totally comfortable with the English language.

This job is going to be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment