Thursday, July 28, 2011

Whew. These last several days/weeks have been pretty crazy. It's so funny how life can be so slow and almost dull at times and then suddenly be really fast-paced and busy. Working at the fair has been such a blessing. It's been really fun, but it's also stretched me at times. I've never taken so many showers or done so many small loads of laundry in such a short period of time. Being a food vendor has made me realize a lot of things, one of them being how easy it is for some people to act like they're better than you. They feel superior because you're serving them food. It seems like this should bother me, but it doesn't. Maybe it's because the chance of me ever seeing them again is really slim. Maybe it's because I know that if they're that shallow then I really don't care how they see things. Or maybe it's because my confidence is in Christ and that doesn't change no matter what job I have or who I'm around. It's probably some combination of the three, especially the last one. I've made friends on the job and it's been really cool. It's also been cool to work with Lindsay and her brothers (who are like brothers to me) and get to hang out with them in that context.

Anyway...school starts back up soonish and I'm trying to decide if I'm ready or not. I'm loving summer and the carefree feelings it brings. But I also miss my school friends. But I'm enjoying my home friends and my family. Also, I miss Maine and my friends/family there...but that doesn't really apply to what I'm talking about. I don't miss the stress of homework, but I do miss classes. I really miss Placerita Baptist Church. It's funny that I feel more at home there than I do at my church at home, which I've gone to since I was 5. But I miss PBC and all the people there. I miss the college group and I miss my Awana kids like none other. I'm looking forward to that starting up again. Awana was such a blessing because it was an outlet for all of the things I'm learning in my teacher ed classes. I miss Saturday brunches and I miss the curly fries from the caf. I really miss being close to so many beaches and also being close to so many other things that LA has to offer.

I'm also looking forward to September 10th and some of the days leading up to it. My best friend from high school is marrying my friend/classmate since first grade. Sammi and Adam are two amazing people who've been there for me through a lot. They're also so fun to be around! They visited me at work and though it was brief, it made my insane day so much better. I'm looking forward to being a bridesmaid for the first time (besides my dad and Kathy's wedding when I was in second grade and was given the title of "jr bridesmaid" along with my older sister). Who would've thought that I would be in the wedding of one of my classmates since first grade?! Not I. But I'm so excited. Plus I get to wear cute shoes.

My spiritual walk has been full of ups and downs this summer. I haven't been as consistent in my personal devotions at times. Other times, I can't get enough of the Word. Both my lack of devotions and my hunger for the Word have been very apparent in the way I use my time and treat others. I hit a few low points, but praise the Lord that He brought me out of those. He's so faithful to not let His children stray too far before bringing them back. This is something that I look forward to about school starting again too- constantly being around tons people who love the Lord, chapels, meeting with Meredith every week, friends who keep you accountable, Bible classes or regular classes through a Biblical worldview, church services and college group Sunday school class, etc. All of these things have shaped me the past two years and God has taught me so much through them. I've learned this summer how dependent on all of those things I was for a good portion of my spiritual growth. While those things are great and obviously do help me grow a lot, I have to remember they are not the most important thing and I can't rely on them only. I really do need to study the Word on my own and spend time worshiping God alone.

I know this post is full of random thoughts that don't really flow together and might not make much sense. But I just have had some things on my mind lately and this is where I share what's on my mind, hence, a rambling post.

No comments:

Post a Comment