Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Changes

Well, the last week or so has been a little bit crazy. Last week was finals, and then there was graduation, and then the day I said my tearful goodbyes to the Brooks family. I had not anticipated that it would be so hard leaving their family. They have been such an immense blessing to me, by providing a place for me to live for the semester, by doing my laundry, by feeding me (whenever I wasn't too busy to sit down for a meal!), but also by the immaterial things they did for me. Welcomed me into their family, became good friends, brought comfort when I needed it. There were several occasions where I cried with one or more of them. The fun atmosphere in their home made constant laughter inevitable. I could go on and on about what a blessing it was, and maybe will another time.

The goodbye was mixed of equal parts of bitter and sweet, though. Because saying goodbye to them meant saying hello to my grandma and sister Holly. I hadn't seen her (H) in several months, and it had been four and a half years since we'd spent time together in So Cal, so I was excited. It was so good to see them again and to do fun things like go to Downtown Disney and Balboa Island, and play games with them and just chat and laugh.

Early evening on Monday Holly and I flew up here to Sacramento to spend the week. It's been fun having her here with our "California family" (Dad, Kathy-stepmom, and Riley-brother) because it has been a while! She hadn't seen our stepmom or brother in 3 years, so it was time for a visit!

Though last week was only that, last week, it feels like it was forever ago. So much has changed from just one week ago til now. So many goodbyes said and tests taken, not to mention the fact that I moved out of my home for the previous 4 months. A lot has happened in the last week. A lot of changes. With the close of the semester and my time at the Brooks came the close to another short chapter in my life. While I am not vehemently opposed to change in general, sometimes when it comes, it's painful. But change is always good, even if it doesn't seem to be so, because we have an all-wise, all-knowing, and all-powerful God. He really has "got the whole world in His hands" and He is so loving and kind and good. So while change can be both bitter and sweet (have I mentioned it's SUMMERTIME?!), we can trust in His plan.

Saturday brings another change: Holly and I fly to Maine. I'm so excited to be there and spend time with my "Maine family" (Mom, James-stepdad, Sarah and Abby-sisters) like I do each summer. Again, it's going to be weird, though very exciting. It will be weird because I'll leaving for Maine exactly a week after leaving the Brooks, but so much has happened in between. I don't know how these things affect you guys, but sometimes it just hits me how crazy this thing called life can be! Again, thankful for a sovereign, good God.

Hope that wherever this finds you, whether it be your summer break, finals week, last part of the school year, mid-week of a regular work week, or whatever, that you are well and that my randomness didn't totally bore or confuse you! Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment